Monday, January 15, 2007

Gettin' My Pollyanna On

Today began as a day of hating life and feeling sorry for and crappy about myself. (Getting cast in a tiny role when you were hoping for grandeur can do that to you.) But now I’m sitting here feeling all misty-eyed about the fact that while I might feel shitty about this, I should be counting my blessings. I have people in my life who love me and bolster me when I’m sad. I have a boyfriend who has listened to my fretting, my worries, my hopes, and has offered me help and advice countless times. I have friends who tell me I’m wonderful (that kind of ego-stroking is simply lovely when you’re full of self-doubt). And I even have a good enough relationship with the director of the show that I can admit to being disappointed and ask what I can do better next time, instead of pretending I’m thrilled with the way things turned out.

So. Feeling rejected. It passes. I can sit here full of melancholy, wondering “why not me?” or I can appreciate that I’m involved. I can berate myself and assume that I suck at life in general, or I can remind myself that I did my best and that everything is an opportunity to improve.

It’s good to get a little perspective. (It’s also good to let it out when you’re really freaking disappointed. My journal got quite the entry last night.)

Anyway. Life goes on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Macho Man Randy Savage said...

Plus, you know, you've got friends that will continue checking your blog regularly, even though you post irregularly. Sorry you didn't get the part you wanted, but it sounds like you've got things under control. Take care,

K to the B

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jessica Spotswood said...

Yay! A blog post from Jill!

I'm sorry you didn't get the role you wanted, but it sounds like you're handling the situation really maturely. It's human to be disappointed, but I think the key is not wallowing in that for too long...And now you get to act AND dramaturg Shakespeare! That's so cool!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home