Sunday, February 20, 2005

this year

It's a February night, cold but not unbearable. I am far from city lights and the sky is breathtakingly clear. The boy beside me has a camera slung over his shoulder. Sounds are scarce this late in winter, but it's not cold enough to freeze the noisy stream bubbling nearby. I'm incredibly comfortable, with the cold, with the boy, with the quiet; I haven't enjoyed simple existence this much in a long time.

If I am lucky, and I think I might be, this feeling will persist through the change when the weather warms again. But for now, I don't even mind shoveling the snow that is forecast for this evening.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill = not sappy.

Jill = matter-of-fact descriptive prose that places you in the moment and bridges the gap to poetry. If that makes any sense.

Kevin = author of this comment.

12:41 PM  
Blogger jilly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:50 AM  
Blogger jilly said...

ok. I just read your email about how you never think of anything witty to say on my blog and i want to say that was thinking the the same exact thing about your blog. I have this weird feeling that I'm not smart enough for your blog. And that's ridiculous, so I'm posting and I don't care if it's not as smart as Kevin's above me, but I must get over my blog inferiority complex. So there.

Jill
PS- when can we hang out?

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home